Michigan Wolverines soccer was with out beginning left deal with LaDarius Henderson, and noticed his substitute, Myles Hinton, go away the sport within the second half with a knee damage. Junior quarterback J.J. McCarthy was shifting round gingerly and gave the impression to be slowed with a leg damage himself. Senior wideout Roman Wilson left the sport after taking a success to the pinnacle and solely returned to the sideline in road garments, dominated out by the coaching employees.
Performing head coach, offensive coordinator and line coach Sherrone Moore stated Henderson ought to be again subsequent week, Hinton has no structural injury to his knee and McCarthy is ok (he claimed he didn’t know Wilson’s standing past being dominated out). Nevertheless it was powerful to get out of Faculty Park with a 31-24 win given all of these circumstances, and an general lack of execution.
The Wolverines weren’t in a lot of a rhythm from the get-go. They began every half with a three-and-out and had two others for a complete of 4. Three touchdowns on drives of 65, 64 and 51 yards, together with factors scored by the protection (9 on a landing and a security) and particular groups (two on a security) had been essential within the victory.
“Perhaps we wanted this check a bit bit,” stated senior operating again Blake Corum, a Burke, Va., native who punched in 2 touchdowns on the purpose line in his return to the DMV. “Perhaps we wanted an in depth recreation like this. Not saying Penn State [wasn’t] shut, however they gave us a run for our cash on the market. And guys like this, [graduate defensive back] Mike [Sainristil], two picks, stepping up huge, particularly when the offense wasn’t doing nearly as good as we wished to at the moment, I feel we wanted one thing like this going into the following recreation. It was enormous for us.”
Michigan racked up simply 291 yards of whole offense, beneath 300 for the second straight week (287 in a 24-15 win over Penn State Nov. 11). The unit averaged a season-low 4.3 yards per play — 3.3 on 45 rushes and 6.1 on 23 passes.
Within the second half, the Wolverines had quite a few alternatives to increase their lead however punted 4 instances. They went 4-of-9 on third-downs after halftime, having hassle staying on the sector. For the sport, Michigan was 2-of-6 on third downs with 4 yards or much less to go, once they’re usually extra environment friendly in these conditions.
Corum chalked a number of the points as much as the Maryland protection placing collectively an excellent plan and executing.
“No excuses in any respect,” the Michigan again stated, acknowledging that accidents occurred. “I feel first half, we did our factor. Popping out second half, it appeared to me they went into the locker room and had an excellent recreation plan for us, within the cross recreation and within the run recreation. Kudos to them. I feel it was only a good recreation performed by Maryland, and we undoubtedly have to return to the drafting board and repair some issues — and play higher.
“We simply have to play higher — backside line. No excuses. It’s what it’s now. We got here out, we acquired the win. The protection helped us, the particular groups helped us, and we did our factor after we wanted to. However we have now to do higher throughout.”
Corum’s 2 dashing touchdowns introduced his season whole as much as 20, tying this system’s report for essentially the most in a single season (Hassan Haskins, 2021).
J.J. McCarthy hobbled, throws first decide since non-conference play
McCarthy limped off the sector after one drive final week at Penn State, probably the reason for some soreness or ache throughout this week’s recreation. He began and performed all the recreation, nonetheless, although he had simply 1 non-sack rush try and clearly didn’t have all of his velocity.
McCarthy accomplished simply 12 of his 23 cross makes an attempt for 141 yards and no touchdowns. He hasn’t thrown a landing since tossing 4 in a 49-0 win over Michigan State Oct. 21. The 6-3, 202-pounder tried 5 third-down throws Saturday however the Wolverines picked moved the chains on simply one among them.
One of the essential moments within the recreation got here after Michigan efficiently marched right down to the Maryland 7-yard line on a two-minute drill simply earlier than halftime. McCarthy threw into two defenders on 1st and purpose and will have been picked off, earlier than throwing an interception proper to Maryland linebacker Jaishawn Barham on second down.
“I believed he did an excellent job,” Moore acknowledged of McCarthy’s efficiency. “He hasn’t thrown a decide since [throwing 3 in a 31-6 win over] Bowling Inexperienced [Sept. 16]. Everyone is difficult on him, however he’s performed nearly good so far, not throwing a decide.
“These issues occur if you’re taking part in actually good groups. Man busted out in protection, noticed it. After that he has an opportunity for a TD on the final one to C.J. [graduate wideout Cornelius Johnson] Simply acquired to proceed to make performs, create issues to get guys open. We’ll proceed to do this.”
Moore has loads on his plate, main the group, calling the offensive performs and training the road. The collaborative strategy has labored for the Michigan offensive employees with regards to the quarterback and the remainder of the operation, the coach stated.
“I speak to [McCarthy], [quarterbacks coach] Kirk Campbell does an incredible job with him. All of us bounce again concepts off one another, not simply Kirk, however [tight ends coach] Grant [Newsome], [running backs coach] Mike [Hart], [wide receivers coach] Ron [Bellamy]. All of us collectively cohesively make choices. It’s enormous. We’ll proceed to do this. Belief these guys with all the things. They do an unbelievable job with their positions, and that offers me the liberty to teach the O-line and name the performs.”
• Michigan is the primary soccer group at any stage to achieve 1,000 all time wins.
• Michigan has solely been held beneath 300 whole yards in 16 video games beneath head coach Jim Harbaugh — final week at Penn State, towards Rutgers in 2021, Penn State and Wisconsin in 2020, Wisconsin and Iowa in 2019, Ohio State, South Carolina, Penn State and Wisconsin in 2017, Indiana, Florida State and Iowa in 2016, and Minnesota and Michigan State in 2015.
• Michigan is 23-1 with McCarthy because the beginning quarterback. The Wolverines have gained 95.8 p.c of their video games with him main the offense. That stat lists above former Clemson quarterback Trevor Lawrence (34-2; 94.4), former Alabama signal-caller Tua Tagovailoa (22-2, 91.7) and former TCU quarterback Trevone Boykin (22-2, 91.7).
• Freshman wideout Semaj Morgan scored on a 13-yard end-around with 4:04 left within the third quarter. That marked the second dashing landing and fourth general rating of his profession. He’s added 2 receiving.
• McCarthy handed Michigan head coach Jim Harbaugh on this system’s all-time passing yards record, with 5,570 popping out of this recreation. Harbaugh had 5,449 yards throughout his time as a participant with the Wolverines. McCarthy stands eighth within the report e-book.
• Speeding for 94 yards on Saturday, Corum (3,380 yards) is now eighth on U-M’s all-time dashing record, passing Rob Lytle (3,317 yards). He may tie Chris Perry for seventh all-time if he reaches 3,696 yards dashing.
• With two dashing scores at the moment, Corum is at 51 for his profession, good for second rank all-time at Michigan. Solely Anthony Thomas (55) has extra.
• Sophomore tight finish Colston Loveland had 2 receptions for fourth-down conversions.
• The Wolverines are actually 11-1 all time towards Maryland, profitable the final eight matchups.
• The Wolverines have been victorious in 23 straight Huge Ten video games courting to 2021, the longest streak in program historical past and the third-longest in Huge Ten historical past.
• Michigan has been victorious in 27 consecutive regular-season video games, the third-longest stretch in Huge Ten historical past. Solely the 1901-03 Michigan groups, which gained 28 straight common season video games, have gained extra in program historical past.